Welcome to the nearest hundredth, our article which describes the rounding of numbers to the nearest 100th, including examples. Next, you can find our rounding calculator.
Round to the Nearest Hundredth Calculator
Insert your starting number, then hit the “round” button. You may change the (normal) round mode to round up or round down, as discussed further below on this page.
Where is the Hundredths’ Place?
The nearest hundredth of a decimal number is the value two places to the right of the decimal point once it has been rounded depending on the value of the thousandths’ place which is located three places to the right of the decimal point.
Frequent rounded numbers include, for instance:
- Round 153.295 to the Nearest Hundredth
- Round 7.224 to the Nearest Hundredth
- Round 4.3 to the Nearest Hundredth
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is 129.257 rounded to the nearest hundredth? As the thousandths’ place of 129.257 is 7, increase the digit in the hundredths place by 1, and then remove the thousandths’ place: 129.26.
- Are hundredths bigger than thousandths? Yes, the hundredths are bigger than thousandths because each place value to the right of the digital point denotes ten times less.
- How would I round to the nearest hundredth? Round up or down, depending on whether the value of the third decimal place is equal or greater than 5, or less.
- What is 3.14 rounded to the nearest hundredth? As the thousandths’ place of 3.14 is 0, just truncate the thousandths’ place: 3.14.
- What is 2.251 rounded to the nearest hundredth? Because the thousandths’ place of 2.251 is 1, simply remove the thousandths’ place: 2.5.
How to Round to the Nearest Hundredth?
To round a decimal number to the nearest hundredth, check the value of its thousandths. If the value is equal to 5 or greater, increase the value in the hundredth’s place by 1 and then remove all digits to the right after the second decimal place. If the value is equal to 4 or less, simply remove all the digits to the right after the second decimal place.
- 1.255: The thousandths’ value is 5, so we round up: 1.255 → 1.26
- 5.911: The thousandths’ value is 1, so we round down: 5.911 → 5.91
- 2.800: Nothing to be done, the thousandths’ value is 0.
In the table below you can find some numbers rounded to nearest 100th.
|Number||Rounded to Nearest 100th|
If it is unclear why a certain table entry has been rounded down or up, use the comment form at the bottom. We strive to get back to you as soon as possible.
Round up to the Nearest Hundredth
If the thousandths’ value of a certain number is >= 5, then, according to general rounding rules, you round up to the nearest 100th. However, the term round up to the nearest 100th can also mean that all thousandths in between 1 and 9 are rounded up by adding 1 to the value in the hundredth’s place, and then removing all digits to the right after the second place.
Round Down to the Nearest Hundredth
If the thousandths’ value of a certain number is < 5, then, according to general rounding rules, you round down to the nearest 100th. However, the term round down to the nearest 100th can also mean that all thousandths in between 1 and 9 are rounded down by removing all the digits to the right after the second decimal place.
It is noteworthy that any rounded number has always the same value as the number you started with, but its value is less exact.
If our article has been helpful, have a look at our other sites in the “recommend sites” section in the sidebar of our home page, and make sure to bookmark us.
Thanks for visiting nearesttenth.com.