Welcome to the nearest tenth, our article which discusses the rounding of numbers to the nearest 10th, along with examples. First of all, here’s our rounding calculator:
Round to the Nearest Tenth Calculator
Insert your starting number, then hit the “round” button. Using the mode menu, you may change the (normal) round mode to round up or round down, as detailed further below in this article.
Frequently rounded numbers include, for example:
What is the Nearest Tenth?
The nearest tenth of a decimal number is the value one place to the right of the decimal point once it has been rounded depending on the value of the hundredths place which is located two places to the right of the decimal point.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is 2.25 rounded to the nearest tenth? As the hundredths’ place of 2.25 is 5, increase the digit in the tenths place by 1, and then remove all digits after the tenths’ place: 2.3.
- Are tenths bigger than hundredths? Yes, the tenths are bigger than hundredths because each place value to the right of the digital point is ten times less.
- How would I round to the nearest tenth? Round up or down, depending on whether the value of the second decimal place is equal or greater than 5, or less.
- What is 3.14 rounded to the nearest tenth? As the hundredths’ place of 3.14 is 4, just truncate the hundredths’ place: 3.1.
- What does round off mean? It either means to round down or to round up, depending on whether the last last figure is less than five.
How to Round to the Nearest Tenth
To round a decimal number to the nearest tenth, check the value of its hundredths. If the value is equal to 5 or greater, increase the value in the tenths place by 1 and then remove all digits to the right after the first decimal place. If the value is equal to 4 or less, simply remove all the digits to the right after the first decimal place.
- 1.25: The hundredths’ value is 5, so we round up: 1.25 → 1.3
- 3.91: The hundredths’ value is 1, so we round down: 3.91 → 3.9
- 1.8: Nothing to be done, the hundredths’ value is 0.
In the table below you can find some numbers rounded to nearest 10th.
|Number||Rounded to Nearest 10th|
If it remains unclear why a certain table entry has been rounded up or down, drop us a line using the comment form at the bottom.
Round Up to the Nearest Tenth
If the hundredths’ value of a certain number is >= 5, then, according to general rounding rules, you round up to the nearest 10th. However, the term round up to the nearest 10th means that all hundredths in between 1 and 9 are rounded up by adding 1 to the value in the tenths place, and then removing all digits to the right after the first place.
Round Down to the Nearest Tenth
If the hundredths’ value of a certain number is < 5, then, according to general rounding rules, you round down to the nearest 10th. However, the term round down to the nearest 10th means that all hundredths in between 1 and 9 are rounded down by removing all the digits to the right after the first decimal place.
Any rounded number has always the same value as the number you start with, but its value is less exact.
If this article has been helpful to you, check out our other sites in the “recommend sites” section in the sidebar, and don’t forget to bookmark us.
Thanks for visiting nearesttenth.com.